Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Jazz Game Routine

As I've mentioned, we are a big sports family. We watch sports, we talk sports, and we have all played multiple sports at some time or another. Well, maybe not my mom ;) She's not the most athletically inclined, but she'll go to events for sure.

One of the things we've been doing for years is go to Jazz games. We have season tickets and it's something that we all love to do. When there was a lockout earlier this season, it was like the world had come tumbling down haha.

Anyways, we have two tickets to every game, and let me tell you, every year it gets harder and harder to manage with my dad. So, here's how it goes:

We arrive at the ESA (Energy Solutions Arena for you non-Utahns) and the driver, whoever is going with my dad that game, pulls right up to the front and lets him out on the curb. Then, we go to our parking lot kiddy corner of the stadium, park, and literally sprint back to where we dropped my dad off to help him get in. You have to walk with him. He has his cane, but it's a really slow-go and he needs someone to help steady him, especially when you add the front steps into the equation. When we finally get in the doors, through security, and make our way to our portal, then comes the worst part - the stairs to get down to our row once again.

Walking downhill or down stairs is always more difficult than going up for him, and probably for most people who struggle  in any such way I'm sure. You have to literally hold him  and make sure he doesn't fall, which can be somewhat difficult at time since I am 115 lbs and he's almost 200. But, I think God helped me to be a strong person because he knew that one day I would serve as my dad's main source of balance on many occassions.

Also, This season we switched seats to get an end seat for my dad so that when people need to go past him, he can just swing his legs into the aisle instead of trying to stand up for each one. It's such a trial even to do that. It's worked out much better thus far.

Well, when the game is done, we basically do the routine backwards. When I finally get him out the doors, down the stairs, and to the corner, I then sprint to the car (as not to leave him standing in the cold too long by himself), get out of the parking lot (we know exactly where to park to get out of there as soon as possible), and come to pick him up where we left him.

I always wonder what people thing throughout this process, when we're holding up lines in the aisles, or I'm running down the street of Salt Lake at night all by myself, but, to be honest, people are usually very kind. it's amazing how understanding people really can be when they see him struggle. I love people when I'm with my dad.

And, I don't care what it takes, I will do whatever it takes to do something with my dad that I know he loves, like I know he loves athletic events. I will cherish these nights forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment