Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

My Dad Is Not A Whiner

To say that my dad is a trooper would be a colossal understatement. He was so athletic and active during his younger years. He played just about every sport that there was to in high school. He even earned a baseball scholarship, but chose not go to and went on a mission instead. I definitely got my athleticism from my dad. We actually think and act more alike than anyone in the family as well.

Anyways, he played softball and golfed and participated in all sorts of athletics for well into my childhood. I remember going and watching him play slow-pitch softball, and for a dad, he was good. I loved those days. I always dreamt of playing with him in these old people games when I got old enough, but, by the time I reached 18 or so, his time had passed, because of MS. Now, he comes to watch myself, my brother, and our friends play, when he can. It is such a trial even getting him to the bleachers and it breaks my heart every summer.

My dad still works full-time as well. Doctors have been telling him to go on disability for years, as they say most in his condition would have long ago, but he refuses. He has come home with torn suit pants and scrapes more often than anyone should ever have to. It is so humiliating for him to fall in from of his peers at work. We always know when he has done so because he comes home so upset. He rarely tells us what happened, we just know.

This guy does more in a week than most do in a month with such a dabilitating disease. His legs drag when he tries to walk. It takes him 10x the amount of time to get somewhere as others, and he certainly hurts, but he keeps going,

That is what I call enduring to the end.

1 comment:

  1. He sounds like a good guy. Probably too mindful of everyone else's feelings to truly express his.
    I hide my true issues with MS from my family who lives almost 15 hrs away. I do not want to make them feel anymore hopeless than they might already do.
    I am not saying your dad is hiding anything, for all we know he has found his center and mental place to deal with this.

    I will say that Dad's will hide certain emotions to keep up some "Man" thing.
    When my mom divorced my dad, I could tell by his body language he wasn't good, but verbally you would get nothing but assurance that everything was fine and he would be ok.

    Dads, we are lucky to have'em. Cannot imagine what others do without theirs...

    ReplyDelete