Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Crazy Weekends :)

I really should have gone into nursing.. or physical therapy. At least then I'd know what I'm doing haha! Actually, I probably have more nursing experience than half of those kids who work in old folks homes already, and I'm proud of that.

I'm completely fine with saying that Saturdays are my days with my dad.. and I love it. My mom was busy today with some things with my grandma and my brother and sister were working, so it was even more just me and him. When I woke up today, I got his shoes on (he can't tie them, his hands don't really work) and went with him to get his hair cut up at Dollar Cuts up the street. He doesn't love having company even on small errands, but it's necessary. Then, I came home, fixed him lunch, and made him go lay down. He gets really tired. He doesn't like to lay down either, but you have to make him. He's supposed to sleep WAY more than he actually does. I ran some errands, and when I came back he was up so we watched some basketball. I stretched him out because he is very stiff and his body basically doesn't work and any blood flow is good. He really should be going to a physical therapist, but we haven't completely convinced him of that either. When he was finally ready for bed, my mom and I got him to his room, basically put on his pajamas (don't worry, we're not like some freaky family where I see him naked or anything, that's gross) and got him in bed. And that was basically my Saturday in a nutshell.

A lot of my Saturdays go much the same way. Yes, I hang out with my friends sometimes and still have fun, but I've found that over the years as circumstances with my dad have gotten worse, my priorities have changed and I want to be where I am needed, and a lot of the time that is at home. I want to spend time with my dad, and my family in general. I am constantly aware of where he is and if my mom is stressed out or what needs to be done. No, I am definitely not a perfect daughter, I have my moments, but I know that I am much less selfish and self-centered than I once was. It is only through true and unselfish love that one can become content and more whole as a person, well, at least I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment